May 22, 2008

Ah, the sweet if bitter irony of it all.

You know, there are times in life when you see things happen and it makes you smile inwardly. It’s because you’re not a part of what’s happening and because you saw it coming.

The topic I am dancing gingerly around is the flailing struggle called the race for the Democratic nomination.

It’s weird.

People are throwing accusations about, they’re name calling and what should be happening is they should be getting their act together for the November general election. If the Democrats through some incredible miscalculation lose the general election this coming November, they will have only themselves to blame.

Why?

The Republicans are in the most untenable position. They have a chief executive who has left a dubious legacy after his two terms in office. First by engaging in an increasingly unpopular ‘war’ over the last 7 years and second by spending the nation into oblivion.

I had a conversation a few weeks back with someone who supports Bush (they are out there). A basic argument Bush supporters at one time had was due to his family’s big oil connections, the price of a gallon of gasoline would remain low and Americans would be able to drive Hummers cheaply for decades to come.

Check the price of the pump lately?

I guess that advantage was put to rest by the Saudis recently when they told their lame duck friend to take a flying leap.

The other lovely thing about the increased energy costs is watching prices go up across the board while wages stay the same – let’s hear it for the global marketplace! Yes, the American worker now competes with workers on the other side of the world who are paid pennies on the dollar for their labor.

Wading into this morass is a Democratic party unable to capitalize on gains made in the last mid term election and consumed by in-fighting. So much so, there is actually a possibility they could lose!

Wow.

Even though I’m a registered Republican, I haven’t voted for the winner in any of the last three Presidential elections (that should tell you something). I did not pick the people who have been our chief executive. Whether it’s cynicism or just outright disdain for what the presidential race has become, I see our nation descending into a morass where out leaders are just not taking this country in a direction I would like to see it go.

Lately, a lot of people I ‘read,’ people whose opinions I respect have thrown down the gauntlet of sexism in regard to the continued campaign of HRC by suggesting that insults directed at her are too much wrapped around her gender.

Thing is, people have spent the last 8 years villifying the current administration and none of it has been that nice. So, is it okay when it’s not the person you support?

Are we being a little disingenuous here?

HRC is not my favorite person. I have a long memory and way, way back in ’92 I remember quite vividly the sales pitch I fell for.

Well, the old saw goes: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

16 years later, any kind of reform of our health care system is further off than it was back then and if anything things continue to grow worse.

Also, I’ve written elsewhere that I don’t agree with one of the basic premises of HRC’s candidacy, an assertion sharing a bed with someone conveys special powers. Bedroom osmosis making a person more capable than another. The whole, ‘ready on day one’ because I’ve lived in the White House doesn’t fly with me.

Woman or man, if I am looking for a surgeon, a pilot or a mechanic, I want to find the best person to perform that job. Their spouse is not who I am seek no matter how much shop talk goes on after the lights are turned off for the night.

The other thing is this, politics is a dirty business. People are nasty and insulting to the other guy’s candidate. It’s the way things have always been. Am I to believe there is some vast left-wing conspiracy afoot out to deny HRC the nomination?

Suck it up – you lost.

No comments: